Monday 7 May 2012

Chambers Wharf

In 2009, when I was already studying graphic design at CSM, I had to do a project about the river Thames. We had to tell a story, any story, about something near/in the river. It could be about the architecture, the typeface, the water etc. 

I chose to investigate the abandoned constructions near the river. Most of them were power stations or factories. I researched about the history of those places and I went there to take pictures. Before going to the sites I would first see how/where it was on Google street view, and that's what I did before going to Chambers Wharf in Bermondsey.

The London Project - http://renataw.com/around-london

When I got there I couldn't see these buildings, the place looked very different, I thought I was in the wrong place. What actually happened was that Google maps was outdated and all those buildings had been demolished, I was in the right place, and there was only a tiny piece of the building left that was still going to be teared down.
















This screen shot was taken today, which shows that Google maps is still outdated, although, if you move to Loftie Street, the view is similar to what I saw in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment