Saturday 12 May 2012

Experiments

Experiment I - punctum
For this experiment I will represent one of my interpretations of new punctum, which is nostalgia. Although Barthes defines the new punctum as death, for me is much more about longing for the past revealed in an image, combined with being aware that “that is dead”, that is over and it is not coming back. I will explore the history of buildings that are today abandoned. For that I will compare old images of the building from the period when they were occupied for it’s initial purpose, with images of these buildings when they were emptied or turned into something else.

Experiment II - aura
For this experiment I will digitally reproduce an old photograph bought in the  Camden’s antique market, as an attempt to attest Walter Benjamin’s idea of the lost of presence of a piece when it is mechanically reproduced. The first part of this experiment implicates in a reproduction by scanning the photograph, and then printing the scanned image, this print will be scanned again, and printed, and so on, until the image becomes blurry and unrecognizable. For the second part I will photograph the old image acquired in the antique market using a digital camera. I will then print this digital image and then I will photograph this print, and then print it, and so until this image is unrecognizable.

Experiment III - evidence
For this experiment I will revisit my Foundation project, done in 2008, in which I simulated a family’s collection of framed pictures of themselves. However, I presented the family’s images mixed with images of skin marks which someway illustrated Sontag’s critique about family photographs and how they are evidences that something happened; in my project the evidences were skin marks compared with family photographs, which was another kind of evidence of a fact.


No comments:

Post a Comment